Municipalities of the region
Municipality Čierny Balog
The municipality has around 5140 inhabitants and its land register takes an area of 14 718 ha. When people hear its name, they imagine a portrait of a village surrounded by beautiful mountains, a picture of woodlanders and woodchoppers, who take care of it with love and respect. Silviculture and woodland management, as well as wood manufacturing related to it are dominant economic sectors in the municipality. Another important sector and employer is agriculture, private sector and last but not least the Municipal Office itself. The village disposes of a rich cultural life. From the cultural events, where the majority of the inhabitants takes part, events like Carnival festival, The National Tree Day, event of welcoming children in this world, meetings with jubilant, blood donors, sportsmen, Katharine days of Čierny Balog culture, Flockmaster day and so on are of great importance. Great contribution to the formation of cultural awareness and educational opportunities has the Municipal library, which proves the memorandum for longstanding activities in behalf of the Slovak librarianship. There are some sports clubs like TJ Tatran, ŠK Partizán, Hockey club, Biathlon Club, and tourist division that provide the young people facilities to practice sports. Significant part of the community life in municipality builds the Voluntary fire brigades Dobroč and Medveďov. An integral part of the community life are two Roman-catholic parishes, non-profitable organisations like Komunitné centrum, n.o. (Community centre) and Vydra, n.o. (Rural Area Development Activity) and the non-neglectable Narrow-gauge railway in Čierny Hron, which is a tourist attraction and takes them along the whole course of Čierny Hron river from Chvatimech to the wonderful Forestry open-air museum.
Very interesting, and in the future perhaps inevitable for the municipality, foremost of the mayor and Municipal Office, is to promote the drawing from the irretrievable financial resources from the structural funds of the European union in present and from the cohesion fund in future. This is the way how the municipality gained resources for realisation of a project “Technical facilities of the recreation zone Čierny Balog- Urbanov vrch“, reconstructed the school, innovated the boiler houses in the frame of the association of the municipalities Bioenergia Bystricko (The municipality is a member of the Climate Alliance), re-cultivated the old dumping ground and created job for terrain social workers and their assistants. Progressive trend in this direction has been proved by the submitted projects for reconstruction of the local roads, sewage building, and reconstruction of the village centre, public lighting and many other projects in process. Raising from these financial resources is inevitable for the finishing of the building of the infrastructure in the municipality, which is recently the basic challenge for future for the most municipalities in the region. This all is being done for people, for development of the services provided, accommodation capacities and facilities for recreation and relax. Beyond the infrastructure, the municipality has to fight with illegal dumping grounds, non-observance of the construction order and last but not least with the negative socio-economic features, which can be treated actually even on a local level.
Starosta obce: Ing, František Budovec
Závodie 2/2, 976 52 Čierny Balog
Tel: 048 / 6304 316
Fax: 048 / 6304 329
The municipality was founded by comte Forgách and inhabited by wood choppers from Orava region in 1810 after an extensive wood slash. Later on shepherds, wagoners and also glassmakers moved from the region Kysuce and Valašská to the village. In the 2. half of the 19. century were established glass works, that were operated by twenties of the 20. century. The municipality is situated in the saddle of Vepor part of the Slovenské Rudohorie mountain range, at the spring of the river Rimavica in the local part „Vrchy“ (Hills). 1566 its name “Na Drapskie“ was already well-known. Yet, till 1920 it was taken for settlement belonging to Lom nad Rimavicou. Only some years later it achieved independence as a municipality Drábsko. The inhabitants worked for their living in silviculture, shingle production and retail agriculture. The chapel was reconstructed in 1957. The folk architecture is preserved mainly in the part called Kysuca. There can be found a newly reconstructed building of institution providing social services. However, the municipality Drábsko is, above all, popular for its agriculture tourism facility „Na Marekovom dvore“.
Starostka obce: Martina Kocová
Drábsko č. 10, 976 53 Drábsko
The municipality was founded 1760 as a chamber settlement at the emperor-royal glasswork founded in 1744. The new building was built in 1762. The municipality´s name is derived from naming of a young spruce forest – in Slovak – sihlina. The glasswork used to be let out for 2-year-long period. From those, who rented the factory, became in the 2. half of the 19. century the most successful renter the family Kuchynka. Green hollow glass was produced there at the beginning and after the reconstruction of the factory; plate glass was put to production. The glasswork ceased to exist in 1904. In the municipality existed forest administration and in 1923 a logging railway was built on the distance between Hronec and Sihla. A steam-driven sawmill could have been found there since the half of the 19. century.
The municipality is situated in the saddle of the Slovenské Rudohorie mountain range in a spring area of Kamenistý potok beck, in a picturesque part „Vrchy“ (Hills) and has preserved traditional architecture.
It became famous thanks to breeding of Slovak Huculs, which is considered to be great contribution to the revival of the Slovak Hucul Club (Slvenský Hucul klub) in the municipality. On a annual period two imposing events used to be organized – „Jarmo“ (Ox-yoke competition) and „Huculská paráda“ (Hucul parade).
Starosta obce: Stanislav Bitala
Sihla č. 73, 976 53 Sihla
Telefón: 048 / 6180 070
Fax: 048 / 6180 070
The municipality came into existence around 1321 at a virgin farm under the castle Muráň. Muráň was an integral part of wealthy and developed ironworks area of the Muráň County to which belonged not only tens of villages in Gemer, but also in Horehronie and Spiš. Since 1823 the inhabitants produced in a manufactory well-known stoneware and pottery typical for this municipality. 1849 it came to a battle between Muráň and Tisovec, in which the Slovak risers were beated (according to one Slovak folk-tale were the wounded hidden in so called Hurbanovská jaskyňa cave, known also as Brestová at the beginning of the Hrdzavá dolina walley).
Delightful quier corners of the old Muráň have not only historic but also country-side forming value and even today mold peculiar atmosphere of Muráň. The oldest part is „Majer“, which was formed to a municipality in the Middle Ages. “Pľac“ is a small square in front of the Municipal Office and the Post Office, which is a crossway in directions to Revúca, Tisovec and Červená Skala.
1950 in Veľká lúka at Muráň a stud farm was established, where draught-horses for silviculture and army were bred and new breeds of Hucul with Fjord, Hafling and Noriker were crossbred. 1995 the crossbreeding of the Noriker breed of Muráň type gained its recognition and 1997 was proclaimed as gene reservation of Noriker of Muráň and as protected breeding area.
The municipality Muráň is situated at the south-eastern Access to the area of Partnership, in the height of 394 m above sea level and its land area takes 10 315 ha. Nowadays live in the municipality around 1300 inhabitants. The municipality is an integral part of the Gothic path leading across the historical monuments of Spiš and Gemer – Malý Hont. Post Office, restaurant and apartment Muráň can be found in the village. You have an opportunity to taste a perfect speciality of the Muráň region – doughnuts with filling in a fast food opposite to the church. In winter a 400-meter-long ski-lift is being operated directly in the municipality. At the entry to the nature trail leading to the castle Muráň is situated an Information Centre of the National Park Muránska planina.
An attraction of the municipality is the half-wild horse breeding in Veľká lúka, filled Muráň doughnuts and Muráň Rodeo – one of the biggest rodeos in Slovakia, since 1978 year after year „Zimný prechod Muranskou planinou“ (Winter parade through Muráňska planina) is being organized and „Horský duatlon“ (running, bike riding, running) belongs to very favourite events, too.
Starosta: Ing.Roman Goldschmidt
Muráň 329, 049 01 Muráň
Tel: 058 / 4881 029
Fax: 058 / 4881 029
Municipality Muránska Dlhá Lúka
The municipality is located at the main road connecting Muráň with Revúca. It was founded at the beginning of the 14. century, but the land had been probably inhabited earlier. Name of the municipality can be identified from the first reference from 1357 as Hoszuszu Reth, 1435 as Huzywreth, from 1551 as Hozu Dlua Luka, from 1567 as Muranhozzureth from 1605 as Dluha Luka alias Huzu Reth, from 1773 as Muranska Dluha Luka, in Hungarian language, Murányhosszúrét, in German language Lange-Wiese, Langewiesen. Its name is derived from widespread pastures utilized by Jelšava County in the past, later on by Muráň County. The land was divided in 1427 into 29 parcels. The inhabitants worked as shepherds and in sawmills and blacksmiths’. They fled from Turkish army and the municipality remained for 40 years unsettled. A plague 1709 – 1710 caused that 440 people lost their lives. In 1828 138 houses were built and dwelt by 1184 inhabitants. They worked in the 19. and 20. century in industrial factories, agriculture, in woodland and travelled for season brigades to Lowland.
Dominant buildings in the municipality are two churches. Roman-catholic Church of St. Michael Archangel was built in a gothic style in 14. century. In the 18. century was the church reconstructed to baroque style. Its interior is furnished by equipment from 19. and 20. century. Classicistic Evangelical Church was built originally without tower in 1787. The tower was additionally built in 1863. Beyond these churches a Baptist tabernacle can be found in the village. The courthouse and mortuary are aimed at citizen’s disposal. The village disposes also of elementary school and kindergarten, Pensioner´s Association Club, School library and Youth Club.
During winter months ski-lifts of 450 m and 300 m length are being operated, as well as one ski-lift for children. These ski-lifts are artificially lighted and therefore there is no obstacle in their operation even in late night hours in good snow and weather conditions. This facility is in ownership of Slovmag, a.s. Lubenik, but, unfortunately, the snow conditions in the recent years were unfavourable for this facility. The municipality is situated in picturesque valley surrounded by hills. From the north-eastern side are those hills Petrov Vrch, Radzim, Zubová, Šturmanova Hora and from the southwest the Poľana mountain range. It offers many different possibilities for hiking in the surrounding landscape, e.g. Lučanské, Muránska Zdychava, Korimovo, but also to a bit more remote place like castle Muráň, Veľká Lúka village, Muránska planina plain, or Predná Hora hill.
Starosta: Ing. Marek Nosko
Muránska Dlhá Lúka 111, 050 01 Muránska Dlhá Lúka
Tel: 058 / 4881 033, 0905 425 349
Fax: 058 / 4881 032
Municipality Muránska Huta
The municipality is the highest situated municipality of the Revúca district. Originally glass-works was situated on its place, which belonged to Muráň County, established between the years 1652 – 1670. First written reference of municipality comes from 1691. 1828 the municipality consisted of 75 houses and 622 inhabitants, who usually worked in woods but many of them wandered even after 1930 as glassworkers. Dominant building of the village is a classicistic Roman-Catholic Church of St. Guardian Angel built in 1831. Predná Hora hill situated in beautiful timber landscape is a part of the municipality.
You can find there the former representative manor house of Ferdinand I. Coburgh, which is since 1951 used as a psychiatric medical institution. Neo-Baroque mansion with adjacent park was built at the beginning of 20. century. Not far from there is situated a wooden hunting manor of Coburgh family. In addition, you get the opportunity to ride a horse on the hill Predná hora. It is possible to undertake nice trips to the National Park Muránska planina through marked paths. The land area of municipality takes 846 ha.
Muránska Huta situated in 703 m height above sea level welcomes the visitors of the Partnership region from its north-eastern side, in direction to Červená Skala. In these days live in the municipality 200 inhabitants. Along the municipality is a hiking path Rudná magistrála (Ore Artery), which joins the historical localities aimed to ore mineral manufacturing.
Starosta: Ing. Robert Ševčík
Muránska Huta 2, 049 01 Muráň
Tel: 058 / 4494 124
Fax: 058 / 4494 124
Municipality Muránska Lehota
It lies in the southern part of the National Park Slovenské Rudohorie. On this land was mentioned 1427 Kisilswa – Malá Jelšava. A written reference of the municipality Muránska Lehota comes from 1453 under designation Lehota and was founded on Walachian right on the land of Jelšava county. Since the 16. century it became property of the Lords of the castle Muráň.
The municipality is situated on the southern edge of the microregion Muránska planina in 388 m above sea level. Nowadays live in the village 245 inhabitants in 101 houses and the land area has 789 ha.
It´s inhabitants used to breed sheep on a large scale. They made the pot boil by charcoal trading, worked at blacksmith´s and manufactured shingle in the 19. century. The inhabitants worked in woods, as blacksmiths, weavers and basket-makers at the beginning of the 20. century. Dominant building of the municipality is the Roman-Catholic Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin built in 1826 decorated by hand-engraved sculptures of unknown masters.
The municipality crosses the hiking path called Cesta Márie Széchy, which interconnects the castles Muráň and Fiľakovo and to which refers one of the best-known Slovak romantic folk-tales from the Middle Ages – about the Venus of Muráň.
Starosta: Miloslav Marčák
Muránska Lehota 83, 049 01 Muráň
Tel: 058 / 4882 031
Fax: 058 / 4882 031
It lies in the headland of the Brezno basin in the valley of Rohozná beck. The height above sea level in the middle of the municipality is 590 m and in land area 585 – 1195 m above the sea level. Today live in Michalková 1370 inhabitants and represents the north-western entrance to the microregion Muránska planina.
Land area of the Michalková municipality used to be a part of the town Brezno. Its foundation according to accessible sources goes back to 1788. Some of the written references state that it was founded between 1750 and 1760. In that period the Ugrian-royal mining exchequer I quote: “costeened“ in the local area. His costeening was crowned by success, because in the close upland were found deposits of large volumes of iron ore. Subsequently, 1795 was built a huge metallurgical furnace called “Maša“ on the place, where the Roman-catholic church is situated nowadays. This furnace produced 2000 Mg of raw iron per year and was in operation till 1877. After the metalwork’s establishment in Podbrezová its productivity started to stagnate and the production was gradually finally dissolved. Approximately in the same time the settlement was founded, which became a municipality called Michalová in a course of time. The first dwellers were partly of German, partly of Hungarian and partly of Italian origin, colonists of the former county of Zvolen.
Michalová was founded as a chamber settlement in close vicinity to mines with iron ore and above all, to the furnace. The name of the municipality has changed gradually from Michalow (1786) to Michalovo (1799) and to the current name Michalová. In the 19. century worked its inhabitants predominantly as woodlanders, at the local sawmill and in enterprises in the surrounding.
The evidence of iron ore manufacturing can be seen on the findings from the land area of municipality, like places for burning of timber used for raw iron production. Furthermore, a dump of finely coloured slag, which was being carried out as by-product from the furnace, was found. In addition to iron ore mining 1938 – 1950 in the land area was being mined also manganese ore that was electrolytically processed in Banská Bystrica. The history of the Michalová municipality is closely associated with the metallurgical furnace.
Another evidence of the fact, that the municipality was founded on the ground of existence of the metallurgical furnace, are the names of local streets, like e.g. Slag Street, through which the slag was carried out. Rake Street is the name of the street which was derived from one place in a beck, where beech wood was being retained and from the place, where charcoal was manufactured. The streets called Upper and Lower Line are the streets where the prominent workers from Germany and Austrian part of Habsburg monarchy moved in.
After the metallurgical furnace was put out of service in 1877, the inhabitants got employed by surrounding enterprises Železiarne Podbrezová and CSM Tisovec, in engineering exhibition, silviculture and lumber industry. Recently the municipality began to focus on other means of gainings, namely in a form of small and medium enterprises regarding service provision and tourism development, especially, agrotourism. New apartments and houses are being built providing private accommodation. A small ski-lift and the first Slovak Euro-sheep fold can be found in close vicinity to the village. In the centre of the municipality is situated a church with bell-tower, as well as Municipal Office, Health centre, library, Post Office, Pension with restaurant and shepherd´s hut, pizzeria, beer parlor, grocer´s and bakery. Stylish accommodation for visitors offers also the Rogalko cottage. Train and bus connections from Brezno, eventually from Tisovec are at inhabitants and visitors disposal.
Michalová is surrounded by beautiful landscape of the Slovenské Rudohorie mountain range, at the edge of the National park Muránska planina, where every tourist finds what he looks for. From year to year a traditional New-Year´s-Eve race is being organized.
Starostka: Ing. Terézia Tisovčíková 0903 561 808
Trosky 1, 976 57 Michalová
Tel: 048 / 6199 157
Fax: 048 / 6189 910
Municipality Pohronská Polhora
Beginnings of the history of the municipality go back to 1786, when the first settlers from eleven settlements of the region Horná Orava were moving to the area of present-day municipality living from sheep breeding, lumbering and wagoning. For the first written reference of the municipality may be considered a record in Annals of the Perish written by the first parish administrator in Pohronská Polhora, a piaristic priest Štefan Fidray. .
The coming of the settlers was contingent to request of Gemer and Zvolen Counties submitted at the assembly in Prešporok (present-day Bratislava). Land between towns Brezno and Tisovec was unsettled. Approximately on the half-way stood one saloon and halfway house for animals and wagoners – so called “halaš“. This saloon with halfway house was built up by the town Brezno in 1726. Frequent smash-and-grab robberies of the travellers carrying wares and money from Gemer to Zvolen and vice versa through the Zbojská saddle forced the authorities to found there a settlement. It became the youngest settlement of the town Brezno, its own administration gained only in 1888. Its name is perhaps derived from the settlement Oravská Polhora, where some of the first settlers came from.
Original occupation of the first inhabitants of the Polhora was agriculture, lumbering and wagoning. 1888 a steam powered sawmill and so called “Oakery“ was built up in Kubická, where tree bark was manufactured. Processed bark was used for leather belt production. In these factories found their occupation also the inhabitants of Polhora. The life of the inhabitants was influenced by construction of a railway between Brezno and Polhora in 1895 and its continuation to Tisovec in 1896.
Dominating feature of the municipality is a classicistic church of St. Michael built in 1808 with a bell-tower additionally built in 1843. It is well-known because of its unique decoration consisting of fruits of autumn and pictures from natural materials, which is made each year at the end of September on the Michaelmas Day. Roman-catholic school was originally wooden, later built from bricks. Exact date of its construction is unknown. An interesting part of the village is the old cemetery, where more than 100 cast-iron crosses can be found, that were produced by iron-foundry Zlievareň in Hronec at the beginning of the 20. century. It is the most extensive occurrence of these crosses in Horné Pohronie region and is recorded in the Central register of the Slovak historic landmarks.
In the municipality live nowadays 1718 inhabitants and the land area is 3 773 ha. The lowest situated point is the valley Liesková (600 m under sea level) and the highest situated point is Fabova hoľa in the height of 1441 m above sea level, which is in the same time the highest point of the microregion Muránska planina. The village has a rich cultural heritage. An assembly room and hostel can be found there and in the building of the Municipal Office is a historical exposition of the life and traditions of the municipality inhabitants.
It is a starting point of tourist signs for hiking on Fabova hoľa and Klenovský Vepor hills. In the Zbojská saddle, where the Ore artery leads, can be found a recreation area known for organizing of youth camps.
Starostka: Mgr. Hyacinta Tyčiaková
Hlavná 62, 976 56 Pohronská Polhora
Tel: 048 / 6199211
Fax: 048 / 6189367
This town is situated in the valley of river Rimava – forms the southern entrance to the National Park Muránska planina. With its 4360 inhabitants and land register of 12 343 ha belongs to smaller towns of Slovakia. Its name is derived from the tree called yew (in Slovak tis) with relatively dense occurrence in its surrounding in the past. The oldest settlement of this area goes back to Young Bronze Age. First written reference to Tisovec can be found in the royal charter of the Ugrian king Charles Robert issued in 1334. Tisovec received its charter as a town at the turn of 15./16. century.
The town was famous for its annual markets. Significant source of living for the inhabitants was mining. Noble metals were mined – silver, gold, iron ore and limestone. Frequent wars and plundering burgeristhed and therefore people were looking for other sources of living. Rich meadows and delicious pastures were a great basis for agriculture, pastoralism, cattle and sheep breeding. The history of Tisovec is closely associated with influential Slovak personalities (Clementis, Daxner, Vansová, Pavol Jozefy and many others).
The view of the town creates a ring of limestone hills. The hill Hradová with rests of the old Slavic castle, nature trail and Voniaca with endemit of Daphne Arbuscula. The surrounding landscape offers phantastic conditions for hiking, cyclotourism, hippotourism, winter skiing and paragliding. Two nature trails can lead you out from the town – in direction to Hradová and to Tŕstie.
Tisovec is a cultural and social centre of the microregion Muránska planina. On the first floor of the town hall is situated a Municipal Museum Tisovec, in the local bookshop can be found a Tourist information centre. The town organizes on a regular basis the Days of the town Tisovec, each year in February a carnival costume parade takes place accompanied by music and burial of a double bass. Three times a year is the tradition of markets in Tisovec revived. On an annual period is being organized an international Off Road event or To the spring of Rimava river
Primátor: Ing.Peter Mináč
Nám. Dr. V. Clementisa 1, 980 61 Tisovec
Tel: 047/5493 236
Fax: 047/5493 286